She cracks open a box of wine, pours herself a Dixie cup, and takes a seat. The leather of her couch makes a weird noise as she settles in. The bottom of her feet are slightly dirty from standing outside barefoot, talking to her next door neighbor. For her own protection, she will be known as Agnes. She takes a sip of her $7 shoppette wine and says she’s ready to proceed with her interview.
- How long have you been an Army Wife? 5 years.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? A nurse
- Where is your family currently stationed? Ft. Bliss
- What has been your favorite post thus far? Fort Drum. I enjoyed the snow and small town life. It reminded me of my hometown.
- What is your favorite dish to cook? I enjoy cooking healthy as much as possible while my husband is in the field because he can’t complain about not liking the food. When he’s home though, we enjoy comfort food.
- Do you participate in Army Wife groups on Facebook? Yes, to get information about the area. They can be useful for that.
- What are your pet peeves when it comes to military life? Bored, dramatic spouses who complain about any and everything. Also, pessimistic people who tell you that you’re going to hate your next duty station when you ask about it on wives’ pages.
At this point, Agnes is on her 2nd cup and decides to talk about nightmare neighbors.
“One neighbor would sit outside her house and watch all the other neighbors. When we went to hangout one time, she would tell us dirty details about each house. For instance, one lady came out with a bamboo stick beating her husband for cheating on her. Another household had potential to be racist, according to her. She was clearly making that up. I came to find that out for myself. She also tried to start a rumor about some neighbors having an affair while their spouses were gone. I was unable to confirm that one.”
Thank you for your participation, Agnes! I’m sure most of us can relate.